Michael T. Wise
Michael’s legal experience includes almost thirty years of litigating and trying lawsuits arising from catastrophic injuries and deaths due to the neglect of others. For most of his legal career, he has concentrated his practice on a diverse array of cases from catastrophic injuries to the litigation of serious business disputes. In addition to providing the highest-quality legal services, Michael believes it is his firm’s responsibility not just to serve as a legal advocate, but also provide a full spectrum of support as his clients navigate both personal tragedies and business losses. Clients can be assured that Wise & Townsend does not back down in the face of adversity.
After graduating from the University of Oregon Law School in 1992, Michael began his career in the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office, trying over forty misdemeanor and felony cases. Before opening his own law firm in 1996, Michael worked alongside his great friend and mentor, Mike Kennedy, at Kennedy Bowles PC litigating catastrophic injury cases as well as business disputes.
Michael is a Past President of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association and currently serves as Judge Pro Tempore for Clackamas County. He is an executive member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, a long-time Oregon Super Lawyer, a Top 100 Trial Lawyer, an elected member of America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, and is the highest A/V rating in Martindale Hubbel.
Michael has been married to his wife, Sharon, for almost thirty years and has three adult children. While his days of coaching kids sports are almost over, he now enjoys spending time with his family traveling, playing golf, fishing, going to concerts, sampling the wineries in the Northwest and running with his dog, Ella, every morning.
Membership & Interests
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association Board of Governors (and Past President)
- American Association for Justice (State Delegate)
- Washington Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Clackamas Bar Association
- U.S. District Court–Oregon and Washington
- Bull Believers Investment Club
- Oregon Golf Club
- Bay Club
Lecture & Writings
- Presenter, Jury Selection (2008)
- Presenter, Understanding the Jury (2009)
- Presenter, Fulfilling Client Expectations (2011)
- Presenter, The Life of a Civil/Criminal Lawsuit (2014)
- Writer, Auto Litigation Deskbook on Voir Dire (2014, 2020)
- Presenter, Ins and Outs of a UIM Case (2016)
- Presenter, Trial Lawyer College (2013)
- State Bar of Oregon
- State Bar of Washington
- State Bar of Montana
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, District of Washington
- Oregon Supreme Court